If you are facing a dental extraction or recently lost a tooth, you may feel overwhelmed by all of the choices when it comes to all of the tooth-replacement options available today. When missing a single tooth, or just a few teeth, patients typically turn to fixed dental bridges or dental implants to complete their smiles. Both offer benefits and a solution to close the gap after an extraction.
Dental Implants and Their Benefits
Most dentists will agree that a dental implant is the best way to replace a missing tooth because they offer a number of health benefits, convenience, and they blend in perfectly with your smile.
Benefits of dental implants include:
- Your dental implant will complement your natural smile
- Dental implants preserve your bone by integrating with your body
- They preserve your bite by keeping adjacent and opposing teeth in place
- You can brush and floss dental implants just like a natural tooth
- Dental implants are a long-lasting solution to missing teeth
- No dietary restrictions except common sense – don’t chew ice or bite into anything that may damage the porcelain on your implant crown
As with all dentistry, proper care is essential for long-term success! Brushing, flossing, regular dental exams, and professional dental cleanings will keep your dental implant healthy.
While dental implants have no real drawbacks, it is important to keep a few facts in mind.
Dental implants need time to heal – generally several months. While we can restore some dental implants immediately, in most cases dental implants perform best after integrating fully with your bone. We can provide a solution for the gap in your smile while your dental implant heals. Most patients tell us it was well worth the wait!
Some patients without sufficient bone may need additional bone grafting treatment for the best results. Dr. Dicello uses 3-D imaging to identify the ideal location for your dental implant and to determine if your bone is healthy enough for surgery. If additional treatment is necessary, we will let you know right away.
Dental Bridges and Their Benefits
A dental bridge is a dental restoration designed to use two healthy teeth to anchor an artificial tooth in place, filling the gap in your smile. Dr. Dicello expertly designs your bridge to ensure a good fit and great appearance!
Benefits of fixed dental bridges include:
- They are highly esthetic and look natural
- Dental bridges keep your remaining teeth from shifting
- We can create them in just a couple of dental appointments
- They can give you confidence in your appearance
For most patients, dental bridges can last a long time when cared for properly, but dental bridges do have a few drawbacks:
- We need to put crowns on two healthy teeth to secure your bridge.
- It takes extra care to keep them clean and protect your teeth and gums.
- You should avoid certain foods when you have a dental bridge – sticky and hard foods can damage your restoration.
If you are missing several teeth and need a solution to restore your oral health and smile, we can use dental implants with dental bridges or dentures to provide added stability.
If you still have questions and would like to set up a time to talk to Dr. Dicello about the treatment that will work best for you, give us a call!